Before going into a keto diet, let us know what our regular diet contains. Our normal diet mostly contains high carbohydrates, moderate protein, and low fat. The consumed carbohydrates are converted into glucose molecules by our body. These glucose molecules are burnt when we perform physical activities. The remaining amount is stored as fat, which is nothing but a form of energy.
Ketosis: Ketosis is a state where our liver breaks down fats into ketones to use as energy. In simpler words, we can call it as a state which our body attains, to survive.
What Does a Keto Diet Contain
A Keto diet is well known for being a low carbohydrate diet and high-fat diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s also known by the names like high-fat diet, low carbohydrates diet, ketogenic diet, etc.
What Makes Keto Diet Special
A keto diet is basically a high fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate diet. In this diet, fat stored in our body is broken down into glucose in the presence of our liver.
This occurs as we are not supplying an adequate amount of carbohydrates which are converted into glucose molecules. This burns out fat stored in our body.
Keto Diet Macros
Your nutrients intake should be something around 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbohydrate. You should limit your carbohydrates, coming mostly from vegetables(high carbohydrate vegetables), nuts, and dairy.
Don’t eat any refined carbohydrates such as wheat (bread, pasta, cereals, roti), starch (potatoes, beans, Lentils, Peas) and fruits. Avoid junk foods as they have a high amount of carbohydrates. In simpler words, ‘ Avoid outside food ‘.
Dark green and leafy vegetables are one of the best choices. Most of your meals should be a protein with vegetables, and an extra side of fat. Chicken breast, paneer, fish, tofu with vegetables would be awesome. If you’re finding yourself hungry throughout the day, you can consume nuts, seeds or peanut butter to curb your appetite.
Benefits of a Keto Diet
- Keto diet is ideal for weight loss.
- Reduces appetite.
- Reduction in Triglycerides(fat molecules that increase your risk of heart disease).
- Controls blood sugar.
- Other medical conditions.
Is the Keto Diet Required for Me
Keto diet is ideal for weight loss programs. It’s also recommended by doctors to treat certain medical conditions. Keto diet is not required for everyone. Check if it’s essential for you. Kindly consult a doctor before following it;
- As you are stopping the consumption of whole grain foods and vegetables, the fiber becomes less. So consume vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc.
- Multivitamin supplements might be essential as your intake of vitamins is less. Deficiency of vitamins occurs as your not consuming fruits and whole grain foods in this diet.
- Consult a doctor if you have any medical issues and other doubts, before adopting this diet.
- This is a temporary diet and should not be followed for an extended period.
- At the initial stages, you may observe symptoms like fatigue due to a sudden shift in diet.
- Consume water in larger quantities as your body drains water due to a reduction in the consumption of carbohydrates.
Sample Diet plan for non-vegetarians.(Suggested by Gurumann-Nutritionist )
Meal 1: Omelet
- 2 whole eggs
- 3-5 egg whites
- 28 gm Peanuts
- 1 cup spinach
- 28 gm Almonds
- 1 scoop Whey in 240 ml Water
- Add 2 teaspoons Flaxseed
- 120 gm Grilled Chicken cooked in Olive Oil or Coconut oil then add a teaspoon of Chia seeds
- 1 cup Boiled or Pan fried Broccoli
- 28 gm Peanuts
Meal 4: Smoothies
- 1 scoop whey
- 4 teaspoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons Chia seeds
MEAL 5: Bhurji
- 250 grams Paneer
- 2 Whole eggs
- 1 cup cabbage or lettuce with cucumber, tomatoes
- 200 grams Fish
- 2 boiled eggs
- 250 grams Paneer cooked in Olive oil
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower and peas
MEAL 6: Nuts
- 30-50 grams Cashews
I hope that this article covers vital information which everyone should know while proceeding to a keto diet. Consult a good nutritionist before switching to this diet. However, this diet must not be followed for a prolonged period. Follow our blog for interesting articles on nutrition and health, lifestyle, and some other interesting topic.